29 things I learned (or should have learned) in the past 29 years.
Last week was my birthday. I never truly liked birthdays, I always felt there was nothing to be happy about the fact that you’re getting old. But in the past couple of years I went through quite a number of life-changing events, and never before I’ve been as happy to be a grown-up person as I am now.
So here are some absolutely random considerations and things I learned in the past 29 years:
1. It’s not personal. That a**hole is having a shitty day just like you.
2. Deferring your happiness to the future is a dumb idea.
3. I like accents. They mean you belong somewhere.
4. Comparison is always unhealthy. Don’t compare yourself, and adopt zero tolerance approach to people that use comparison to make you feel less worthy of what you’ve achieved.
6. Being alone is often a blessing rather than a curse. Enjoy it.
7. Speaking of blessings: Chocolate covered Oreos, better when shared (or maybe not…)
8. No matter the size of the project or the agency, 90% of the times no one has a damn clue what they’re doing and why. (I haven’t yet understood what kind of sorcery makes it all come together at the end.)
10. Love itself is worth nothing. You also have to commit to being loyal, understanding, ironic, being a good listener (especially when things are left unsaid), being an open book, and put daily effort in it. That’s a LOT of work.
12. Contextuality is essential.
13. Coffee makes me anxious. Thanks, but no thanks.
14. The world is really, really, really small. I know it’s cliché but it is also damn true.
16. Friendships you make while traveling are often much stronger than the ones you left home. That said, don’t ever forget to appreciate these last ones too.
17. Your work should speak for itself. If you need a 50 pages deck to explain your concept, you probably don’t have one.
19. What you gain from letting go is way better than what you’ve lost.
20. Be your own friend ’cause you definitely DON’T want to experience what it’s like to be your own enemy.
22. E V E R Y T H I N G on writing! When will I learn that?
24. I haven’t seen enough dawns yet.
25. People are good. When you have an open heart, random goodness will happen.
26. “No one is in charge of how you feel” is one of the wisest mantras someone has shared with me.
27. Beauty standards won’t stop me from eating whatever the heck I want
29. There’s always a good reason to celebrate. Don’t waste it! 🎉🎉🎉